Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Paete's papier mache dolls

These aren't very pretty dolls. They were moulded from wooden dolls, perhaps copied from the plastic ones of the 70's. These papier mache dolls are from Paete, Laguna and are mass-produced to be sold during fiestas in most Tagalog towns. I first saw them during fiestas in Cainta, Taytay, Antipolo, Angono and Binangonan, Rizal. My first papier mache dolls were given to me by my friend Frank G. Rivera, who is a proud PaeteƱo, as Christmas presents, but I lost them when I lost a lover of eleven years. Sad. So I picked up these dolls in Paete even if they aren't very pretty if only to keep happy memories. The taka (papier mache) horse is one of my favorite Pinoy icons. I have a really big one I had to hand carry on the plane back to Antique.

No comments: