Sunday, September 21, 2008

Dolls from Northern Thailand

These dainty couple are wearing traditionally woven cotton garments with a colorful striped waistband, and hemp hat. They have bisque heads and limbs, and cloth bodies. They are from Changmai, Thailand.

This is a Lisu girl I picked up at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport. She is doing the traditional wai.

This boy I got from the Queen Sirikit Traditional Crafts Center during a trip to Ayutthaya. The costume is finely detailed, complete with silverplated accessories and traditional peasant's bag.


This is a Karen long-neck doll I bought from Changmai.


I think this one is from the Hmong tribe, or from a Mae Hong Sorn village. Their costumes are fabulous. Both Karen and this doll are made for porcelain. I've got three of them, but the other one was not available for the photo shoot.

No comments: