Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Cover girl

This porcelain doll is a cover girl. She was featured in my book "Agi, agi may putay sa dahi," a collection of gay stories in Kinaray-a. It was the first gay stories collection by one author in Western Visayas, and also the first book published entirely in Kinaray-a. But let's go back to the doll. The doll was given to me by Ed when he came home from Austria. But it is Made in China, so I was only half-thrilled because I expected an authentic Austrian doll. To be honest, I suspect he bought this at SM when he arrived in Iloilo City. (Didn't tell me because I did not want to break his heart. Ed, if you read this, I can explain.) But that doesn't mean I love Ed less. He more than redeemed himself by sending me figurines of Austria's famous musicians - Mozart, Beethoven, and Strauss. Although those figurines were Made in Italy. Maybe Austria, being a relatively small country does not really produce anything as they can afford to import, except perhaps for those divinely delicious chocolates with marzipan filling, engraved with Mozart's face - Mozartkugeln or something. Ed sends me that too, if only to make me feel like having Mozart's genius in me. hahaha.

So this doll ended up as the cover girl for my book. Well, sharing it with my brother Vaun. Here they are:

The book is still available at www.bookoto.com, if you want a copy. Go buy.

No comments: